Monday, January 10, 2011

An Ultimate Breach of Social Contract

Just the other day over coffee, I was having a heated conversation with my mother and my beau about accountability.  We were having a conversation about freedom of speech, and the accountability it comes with. You see, when you find yourself in a position, with platform and a following whose thoughts and behaviors you can influence you have a responsibility for the things you say and do.  When people give you their trust, when they believe you because of your position or  power, there is a social contract made. There is an agreement of mutual respect. There is an expectation of ethics, of a measure of civility.

I may never understand how people in America can call themselves journalists, public servants then turn right around with untruths, and blatant misrepresentations of facts and events—and get away with it! What an ultimate deception, what an incredible lie. To preach that you care about your country and the welfare of its downtrodden, when in truth the master you serve is your own best interest and the posse of big business patrons that fund your work and your cushy life.

What else would explain the fervor with with they convince their devoted following to behave in ways that favor the best interests but to those of big business, big pharma and big insurance companies over their own.  What else can explain the slow but sure build up towards fascism (all in the guise of preserving democracy, of course) through language like bullseye, eliminate, enemy, don't retreat instead reload. What an brilliant manipulation, to wind people up so they do all the dirty work for you of mounting protest and voting this way or that —and you are off the hook. What an incredible slight of hand, to do such disservice and get away with it. How did Americans allow this? How was it possible that this new form of quasi organized crime had gone unnoticed?

Eerily the next day,  it seemed to have all gone to head. With hitman and target in the plain light of day. Vitriolic rhetoric, enraged extremist, singled out public servant et voila - a horrific act of terrorism. Costing the lives of innocent and a nation's sense of safety. In cases like this it is never a simple story. There may have been one hit man and one accomplice in this tragedy, but it cannot be denied that the conspirators are many. And no, I am not referring to any particular political leaning. I am referring to all of us who have in some shape or form have encouraged violence and division. I am referring to all of us who have not made room for a different point of view.

It starts very early, the mean girls in high school. The jocks picking on the dorks. The punitive boss mistreating his employees. The man beating up his wife. The mother bearing disdain for her child. One race calling another this or that, one person out casting another for whom he loves. One religion vilifying another. We have all been someone's target. We have all had crosshairs on our forehead.

On this very sad week in a troubled country that is ever changing, it is important that we remember the social contract we all make us Americans who belong to this immigrant nation. It is important to remember the power of the words we speak. It is important to be accountable for the things we say and do. So today, America, I say thank you for making room for me my thoughts and my spirit. And while I do not apologize for being hard on you, for questioning your essence and exploring your heart,  I do apologize for the times I have been intolerant of some belief systems I disagree with. I do apologize for being critical, at and yes I apologize for the times that I have been vocally and unequivocally critical. And I apologize for succumbing to the name calling and divisive labels.

And to you, who have power and influence - I am looking at you with generations of expectation. Remember the social contract you have made with me and all Americans. We are watching you, and we will no longer let you get away with breaching our contract. Not anymore.

No comments: