Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Popping My Waffle House Cherry

Somewhere between Manila time and Eastern time, I found myself wide awake at midnight. Jet lagged and ravenous, the slick pitch to the LEAF Slam Master et voila. We are off to have breakfast at midnight.  I have lived in America for four years now and I have a confession to make. Until three hours ago, I was a virgin. A Waffle House virgin, that is.

The Waffle House on Tunnel Road almost unchanged in 56 years
Not anymore! What a treat, not only do I get bacon and breakfast at midnight (while stone cold sober, at that!), I also get to experience an American icon for the first time. This simple, profound experience unfolds before me and I am tickled as I immerse myself in Americana's soft edges.

I meet Roxie, the server who tells us she loves her job. She tells us with pride how the Waffle House never closes, despite bad weather and how during hurricane Katrina they served as a quasi basecamp from where relief workers mobilized aid. She shows us the pins and badges adorning her cap and apron to mark her accomplishments, her military stripes worn with pride.

A glassy eyed man  comes in with a familiar 3am appetite that can only mean the munchies. He knows what he wants, cleans up his plate and quietly leaves, satisfied.. There is the graceful elderly man, originally from Greece now with a Southern drawl checking to see if we are alright as he offers us more coffee. He moved here with his family as a boy and now calls it home.

This the only America I want to belong to. Buzzing, comfortable and welcoming. Culturally peppered with accent, drawl and story. Rooted in a sense of pride that is not boastful. Fully occupying its own space with authority, yet not overbearing. It is a foggy winter's dawn outside, but in here it is warm and easy. I am told that this 56 year-old structure remains mostly unchanged.

As I sit here and watch Americana buzzing into the wee hours of the morning, my jet lag is replaced by a comfortable warmth deep within. That's when I know, a cherry's been popped. And I like it. And I know I'll be back. For more.

No comments: